Josh Walton & Gordon Levin

Josh Walton presents a lot of information and focus on the abstraction and the vague boundry that exists between the physical world, and the virtual binary world of computers. He immediately dives into the idea that we can exist in both simultaneously, which is a fantastic idea that I completely believe in. For example, I'm in the Study Lounge, but I'm also on Blogger, Facebook, and Santiago.bz, interacting with all four simultaneously, or near simultaneously. He then goes on to his projects in creating spaces that interact with both worlds, and submerse you in both at the same time. His connections with the block experiment in the city are especially interesting how you can interact via another portal (twitter) and the physical space. He refers to this as generative interaction, however I would say it's procedural, two ways of saying the same thing though I suppose.

Golan Levin was asked a lot of theoretical questions, and these can be debated and seen in multiple ways. A few things that I really liked was when someone asked what came after the kinect, and he answered a smaller, cheaper kinect. I highly agree with this statement and his general philosophy that hardware exists to pave the way and create opportunities for software, and that once we run out of ways to use a piece of hardware, that's when we try to find a new technology. I'm also excited for the augmented reality ideas he throws out there.

0 comments:

Post a Comment